I am a big one for reflection around the start of the new year. This has often led to me setting goals that I have gone on to achieve like signing up for my first marathon in 2014 and quitting eating meat on the 1st January 2011.
After reading this excellent review of my friend Ben Matthews year, I felt I should also put together a little review of my year. So here goes it…
Highlights (sorry Ben I stole like an artist here)
- Completing my second marathon this time in Toronto, Canada
- Co-Founding the Vegan Futures festival
- Working on the Keep It In The Ground campaign at the Guardian
- Travelling to France, Spain, Canada, India (briefly)
- Moved into a lovely place with my partner Judy
- Making tonnes of amazing new friends
Favourite articles and other media projects
This blog has just been one of my platforms for my writing and creative work. Often my work has appeared on other platforms which have included the Guardian, Huffington Post and the Metro. I have also been fortunate to be interviewed for a couple of great podcasts and YouTube channels. These are some of my favourite things I been involved in creating in 2015.
1) Guardian Article: Natural superfood: is it time to regulate the sale of breast milk?
3) Huffington Post article: After COP21 It’s Time to Talk About Animal Agriculture and Climate Change
4) Huffington Post Article: The Vegan Outliers Step Into the Mainstream
7) An interview I conducted for the Guardian: Don’t close your eyes: waking up to climate change
It has been a middling year for reading. It’s definitely one of my resolutions to start the new year with lots of amazing books.
Some of my 2015 favourites were:
- Blink, Malcom Gladwell
- Outliers, Malcom Gladwell
- Manuel of the Warrior of Light, Paulo Coelho
- Natural Born Heroes, Christopher McDougall
- The Way of the Runner, Adharanand Finn
- Ultra Marathon Man, Dean Karnazes
- The Radetzky March, Joseph Roth
- Suffragette My Own Story, Emmeline Pankhurst
- Steal Like An Artist, Austin Kleon
- Show Your Work, Austin Kleon
- Icarus Deception, Seth Godin
- Pinball/Wind, Haruki Murakami
- The biography of Malcom X
- Farmageddon, Phillip Lymbery
- The Man In The High Castle, Phillip K Dick
* On review of this I need to read more fiction in 2015.
Like my friend Ben I thought I would finish with plans for 2016. I am a big one for new year goal setting so here goes…
Plans for 2016
- Launch a new creative agency with friends in January 2016 (More coming on this soon)
- Launch a new festival to follow-up Vegan Futures
- Be at the forefront of helping make veganism appeal to people
- Be part of creating a new co-working creative space
- Complete my first triathlon
- Consistently make YouTube videos and produce and edit my first short film
- Travel to new places
- Learn a practical skill
- Read more fiction
- Learn a new language
- Spend more quality time with friends and family
- Become more involved in the local community – start our allotment
- Get involved with the green party more than I am currently
Thanks for taking the time to read this review, I’d love to hear about your 2015 and what you have in store for 2016.